Friday, March 16, 2012

Infomercial Insanity

Ahhh, infomercials. The silly guilty pleasure we love to hate. We all love to mock them, whether for the absurd portrayal of a product, or for the actual odd product itself. But the laughter left ringing in the air is typically not from us observers, but from those who devised the product and are hauling in loads of money.

Because it's Friday and we could all use a laugh, I bring to you a list of my top worst/best infomercials. Worst/best lies in the eye of the beholder. There may be more ludicrous examples out there, but I haven't yet seen them. Thanks, YouTube, for having these available for countless hours of laughter and eye rolling.

THE BEST/WORST INFOMERCIALS OF ALL TIME 
(ranked from least to most insane)

10.  Forever Lazy--The Snuggie made fleece the laughingstock of America, but this took it one step further. Fast forward to 1:15 where it demonstrates the ease of going to the bathroom. America, you are truly lazy and disgusting.

9. Aspray--I'm not even sure what to think about the plumbers in the beginning of this commercial. Do you really want me to believe that some guy is going to put his nose up to another guy's butt like that? Remember, "you can even Aspray your privates."

8. PooTrap--This made me laugh and laugh and laugh trying to think of how my pup would have handled this back in the day. I understand that cleaning up dog poop is not a treat, but don't make poor Fido wear this. If you don't care about your dog's likely discomfort while wearing the device, then think about his/her humiliation.

7. Tiddy Bear--I love how so few of the people in this video put the device where most people complain about seatbelt pain--on their shoulders. Instead, the women seem to want to put the bear on their... um... well... er... "tiddy."

6. Hawaii Chair--I dare anyone to take up the guy on his idea of using this gyrating chair at the office. Says one woman in the clip, "I can really feel this working!" Yeah, I bet you can.

5. Potty Putter--If you feel the need to buy this, you may already be spending too much time on the toilet. My favorite part is the announcer's awkward pausing around :25. "Just aim and shoot... the ball... into the cup." No wait, it might be the point at :47 when he says, "You'll take the time to play with your putter." Imagine how proud you'll be to tell work colleagues who compliment your improved game that the skills came from hours with the Potty Putter.

4. UroClub--Seems like all the best ones aimed at men are golf related. Don't think you're fooling anyone with that stupid little green towel. Your hands are behind it, so we know you're either peeing or playing with yourself. Although I previously wrote a post about trying to be less judgmental, if I see you using one of these, you better believe I'm going to judge you for being gross.

3. Shake Weight--Few items are as blatantly dirty as this product. If you don't believe me, go ahead and look up the South Park episode about it. I had trouble deciding which video to include, because the company made separate ones for men and women. I'm including the one for women because it seemed just slightly more silly.

2. Facial Flex--Cut to the chase and fast forward to 1:05. There are no words.

1. Kush Support--The name sounds innocent enough. But the product is a breast implant supporter.

There you have it. I hope these videos caused you to laugh as much as I did. Maybe this post will even inspire you to come up with your own wacky product. If you do, just remember who inspired you, and be sure to send me a royalties check.

No comments:

Post a Comment