Monday, November 14, 2011

B*#ches, Boobs, Murder & Music

There are some songs you know from the start are awful, but others sneak it past you. A great beat and some seemingly decent lyrics can get you hooked. Then all of a sudden--BAM--you really listen to what's being said and realize the song is filthy. Then, before you know it, you're singing "99 Problems" at the grocery store and are getting disapproving looks from mothers trying to cover their children's ears.

There are countless songs that include misogynistic themes and women can be heard belting out these tunes as well as seen dancing to them. Granted, we often mindlessly hum along to songs we don't understand, but there are so many that we actually do know the lyrics to and understand, yet continue to enjoy. I give credit to people who refuse to patronize artists who sell misogynistic songs, because I can't do it. That's right, when I find a song I love, I'll buy and play it over and over ad nauseum, regardless of content. Do I feel dirty doing it? Sure. Is that going to stop me? Sadly, no.

Following is a list of my favorite misogynistic songs. This list is by no means exhaustive or even the worst music out there. It's simply a representation of some of my favorites that I can't stop singing, no matter how hard I try. I'm including written examples of some of the offending lyrics, although trying to avoid printing positively filthy words. Please note the following content, particularly the videos, should not be read/watched/listened to by the faint of heart or easily offended. Consider yourself warned.

-"Shake That" by Eminem featuring Nate Dogg  
As with many, many Eminem songs, this is completely demeaning to women. But every time I hear "Shake That" I really do have to shake that. It's embarrassingly catchy. Plus, the cartoon video is crazy fun.

"I'm looking for a girl that will do whatever the f*#k
I say everyday she be giving it up.
I'm looking for a girl I can f*#k in my hummer truck
Apple Bottom jeans and a big ol' butt."


-"Get Low" by Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz
There's really not one redeeming line in this song. It's so vile, but I listen to it all the time when I run, and love to dance to it. My brother and I will randomly burst into singing this while on the phone for no reason whatsoever. I mean, c'mon, we've all randomly blurted out "Aww skeet skeet" at some point, especially thanks to Dave Chappelle's haunting imitation of Lil Jon.

"And we all like to see ass and t*#%ies
Now bring yo ass over here hoe."


-"Low" by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain
Not to be confused with the aforementioned "Get Low." This song gained a lot of popularity after being featured in "Tropic Thunder" with a disguised Tom Cruise shaking his ghetto booty. This song also makes me shake my ghetto booty.

"I'mma say that I prefer them no clothes.
I'm into that, I love women exposed."


-"Girls" by The Beastie Boys
After asking a girl out and her saying no, she gets called a lesbian. Classy. Not to mention simply wanting girls around to do chores. The themes are awful, but what kind of sounds like plunking away on a kids' piano is just too enticing to hate.

"Girls - to do the dishes
Girls - to clean up my room
Girls - to do the laundry
Girls - and in the bathroom
Girls - that's all I really want is girls
Two at a time - I want girls."


-"Run for Your Life" by The Beatles
Before you start thinking that only modern music, particularly hip hop, employs misogynistic lyrics, listen to this song by The Beatles. A self-described "wicked man" threatens his woman with death, telling her to run for her life.

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won't know where I am."


-"Smack My Bitch Up" by Prodigy
Although there's only one line to this song repeated over and over, it's still a misogynistic line. I don't believe the band's claim that the song is merely about "being intense," especially after seeing the video.

"Change my pitch up,
smack my bitch up."


-"I Used to Love Her" by Guns N Roses
Hmmm, you're annoyed with your woman's complaining, so you kill her and bury her in your back yard. Yikes. I guess we've all felt that way, so carry on with your singing, Axl.

"I used to love her, but I had to kill her
She b*#ched so much
She drove me nuts
And now I'm happier this way."


-"Got Your Money" by Ol' Dirty Bastard
ODB was pretty messed up, both in the head and on drugs. So a lot of what he says doesn't make sense. When you catch the occasional coherent phrase though, you kind of wish you hadn't. ODB disgusts me, yet continues to lure me in.

"I don't have no trouble with you f*#%ing me
But I have a little problem with you not f*#%ing me."

Thanks for bearing with me through this woman-hating post. As I said, I hate that I love these songs, but they're so darn tough to get out of my head. I'll just have to deal with the dissonance every time I'm jamming to any songs about strippers, big butts and boobs, beating or killing women, or forcing women to be indentured servants. And you can rest assured, I'll be listening to my mp3 player at a low volume so nobody nearby really knows which nasty song is making me dance around.

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I started reading this post I thought of "Get Low." I don't know how many times I've come thundering out onto the dance floor as soon as that song started playing (usually to grind with my fave club thug who was always there). Awesome. People are usually shocked to find out how much I LOVE hip hop but I'm a kinda closeted so its no surprise. I'm like that guy from office space (you know who I'm talking about)...not that chicken but dorky white girl just the same. Nice.

    ReplyDelete