Friday, April 8, 2011

Free-For-All

A friend told me this week that med school students will do just about anything for free food, and at the slightest sign of gratis grub, the students come out of the woodwork.  While I didn't disagree with this notion, I did scoff and comment, "Yeah, med school students and all the rest of humankind."  I have claimed the same thing about the newsrooms I work in, and have heard similar grumbles from countless friends and family members of various other professions including engineers, lawyers and government workers.

What is it about free things, particularly food, that prompts people to crawl out of the woodwork?  Few things are more frustrating to me than bringing a treat to work for my faithful coworkers who endure me daily, only to have a random person I have never been introduced to from another department saunter in and sniff around because of the rumor of munchies. 

Granted, I myself am a self-described deal whore.  One of my simple pleasures is hunting down a fantastic deal, particularly one including the word "FREE".  However, one thing I've become more cognizant of is whether I actually NEED the free item/food/service.  Too often, it seems complimentary items cloud our senses, forcing all rationality to slip out the window.  Do I really need that free slice of pizza from the new joint directly next to the restaurant I just left, plump with chicken?  No.  Am I really going to use that 30th key chain I received at my 7th race of the season?  Doubtful. Will my dogless household really use those treats being handed out near the Metro station?  Never. But am I going to mindlessly continue to pick up these items just because they're shoved in my face as I pass by?  Probably.  Sometimes I truly question how many suckers I would see standing in line for liver and onions if it were free.  And I question whether I would be one of those suckers.

There's such a sense of accomplishment from scoring a complimentary or deeply discounted item.  In many cases, it's the thrill of the chase. But even if it's just something found in passing, it's a gloat-worthy ordeal.  It makes us feel skillful, productive and deserving of accolades.  Personally, anytime I receive a compliment about an article of clothing or some other freebie, I get a rush of adrenaline and must fight the urge to blabber on about my find.  Once in a while, I succeed.  Most often, I blabber.  I do this even as I'm stuffing my face with the free cupcake, slice of pizza or pudding sample.  Like others who shall remain nameless, I've even shamefully stayed longer at work for a few minutes on election nights or breaking news days to snag a few bites of munchies that were brought in for those working late.  What is wrong with us?  We're all well-educated, rather well-paid people, yet we scrounge and clamber over others like barbarians for the opportunity to snatch up the trinket or treat du jour.

There is one group of people who, not always, but sometimes, will inexplicably refuse a handout--the needy.  Those who could most benefit from aid are, in my opinion, often the first to turn it down.  Have you ever given food to a homeless person on the street?  Often, they will refuse it, or at least refuse to eat it in front of you.  I've even read about people who go through neighborhoods helping the homeless and have to leave food out in plain view instead of handing it directly to the people, because they turn it down in a face to face meeting.  Perhaps it's a sense of pride, the need to hold on to that one last shred of dignity.  Whatever it is, I question why I am willing to allow my dignity to fall to the sidelines when faced with similar handouts.

So what is it about the lure of the "free"?  Is it a sense of entitlement?  Is it simply greed?  The more we have, the more we want?  Personally, I've learned from those who have more need than myself.  I have started refusing discounted items if I know I will not use them.  I've tried to be more consistent about turning down cost-free nibbles if I'm not hungry.  And I try to offer freebies and discounts to those whom I know could benefit from them far more than I ever will. I still become excited over a prime deal, but I'm trying to be more selective, instead of blindly participating in the free-for-all.

1 comment: